Hurricane Season Is Knocking At The Door
What an unexpected year we’ve had so far in 2020. As we continue to roll with the punches and battle through the storm that is Covid -19, we must prepare ourselves for more storms likely to come. Hurricane season is knocking on our doors here in the region and we have one question:
Are You Prepared?
The official start of the season is a couple days away (June 1st 2020) and with most of us still experiencing limited mobility in our respective countries, we have the perfect opportunity to check around our homes and properties.
Last year was very memorable for most of us as the season unofficially started May 20th and the historic Hurricane Dorian stamped its mark on our neighbours. According to the April forecast from Tropical Storm Risk (TSR), the 2020 season is expected to be 25 per cent more active than the 1950 to 2019 long-term norm, with 18 named storms and eight hurricanes. At least three of the eight hurricanes are expected to be Category 3 and higher.
Here are a couple ways to start your preparation:
1. Check roofs, windows and walls for cracks, leaks and weak spots
2. Clear drains in your immediate area
3. Trim branches that come into contact with your home and call your utility company for those in contact with power lines
4. Remove debris or store loose objects from around your home, indoors.
5. Stock up on water and non-perishable food items
6. Ensure your home is adequately insured
7. Consider contents insurance to cover appliances and valuables
8. Take pictures and create an inventory of your valuables and possessions to make the insurance claims process easier and faster
Some of us have already been stocking up on food items and medicines in light of the pandemic. Let’s start setting aside hurricane supplies and putting plans together so we can weather out this stormy season.