Driving Safely In The Rain
It’s the rainy season! We’ve already been experiencing some bad weather across the region. Below are some tips for driving in the rain as well as some general driving tips to keep us safe while on the road.
Good driving starts before you start the car! To be at your optimum when driving, you should be alert, comfortable and safe.
Here are some tips for driving in the rain
- Increase your following distance
- Slow down
- Exercise caution
- Turn on your headlights
- Use both hands to maximise control
- Keep your wipers in tip top shape
- Avoid standing water
- Pay attention to signs
Below are some general safe driving tips:
1. Driving intoxicated, fatigued or emotionally upset, may reduce your alertness and ability to make split-second decisions.
2. Use your seat belt and be sure to also buckle up your children.
3. Make all the necessary adjustments to your seat, the mirrors, steering wheel and head restraints before moving off.
4. Drive defensively and overtake only if it is safe to do so.
5. Obey the speed limit, adjust your speed to traffic, road and weather conditions
6. Always drive at a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you.
7. Use rear and side mirrors when changing direction.
8. Keep your insurance company up-to-date and informed about any changes, especially changes in persons expected to drive your vehicle.
9. Avoid distractions – i.e. – Do NOT text and drive!
10. Pull over and stop if you need to use your phone urgently.